Dear Parent or Guardian,
We have learned that a pre-kindergarten grade scholar tested positive for COVID-19 in Ms. Boyd’s class (Room 114). This scholar was last in school Thursday, January 20. There are four scholars in Ms. Boyd’s class who have siblings in the following classes: Mrs. Bridges (2nd), Ms. Clack (1st), Ms. Daily (K), Ms. Walker (4th), and Ms. Williams (PK).
In keeping with our mission of keeping our scholars safe and because of a potential direct exposure to a scholar who is COVID positive, we are requiring Ms. Boyd’s class to quarantine. This class will be allowed to return to school on Monday, January 31. During this time of quarantine, Ms. Boyd will teach the class virtually.
All siblings of scholars in Ms. Boyd’s class must also quarantine. Siblings will be eligible to return on January 31 OR WITH a negative test on Wednesday, January 26. Testing must occur no sooner than Tuesday, January 25. These siblings are also eligible to attend school virtually during this time.
Our response is in keeping with what we believe best meets the needs of our community, in addition to the recommendations of other health experts. During this time of quarantine, scholars will be able to attend school virtually with the same curriculum they would have had in class. Virtual class will begin daily at 8:00 am and end at the regularly scheduled time of dismissal. Scholars must wear their uniform for virtual class each day.
If your scholar is experiencing symptoms, please call your doctor right away, notify AOS, keep all siblings home, and obtain a COVID-19 test.
Fever (100 degrees or higher), shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, cough, headache, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, congestion or runny nose, sore throat, fatigue, muscle or body aches.
We believe in the efficacy of our COVID-19 protocols and will be vigilant in continuing these efforts in order to keep our community safe.
AOS COVID-19 Protocols
- AOS scholars, faculty and staff, and campus visitors will now be required to wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status as we begin the school year.
- AOS will no longer require daily temperature/health checks upon arrival to school, but we ask families to continue to monitor their scholars’ health. Any scholar exhibiting any of the above COVID-19 symptoms should obtain a COVID-19 test. If the test is negative, they are free to return to school when they are feeling better and are fever-free without medication for at least 24 hours.
- If a scholar tests positive for COVID-19 or comes in close contact with someone impacted by COVID-19 (i.e. within 3 feet for at least 15 minutes), that scholar must quarantine for a period of 7 to 10 days. A negative COVID-19 test will be required to return after 7 days.
- If a scholar or teacher tests positive, AOS will attempt contact tracing to ensure all who are impacted comply with COVID-19 protocols for unvaccinated/vaccinated individuals.
- Daily classroom cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing.
We appreciate your understanding as we worked diligently to contact, trace and communicate our findings to you. It was our effort to communicate 100% of the information we had, in the most detailed manner, as quickly as we could. We pray that all scholars and their families endure this time with peace, love, and the grace of God and we sincerely hope that all scholars will be able to join us again in person on Monday, January 31.
Dr. Stacy Lambert-Johnson