Dear Parent or Guardian,
This morning, we learned that a second-grade scholar tested positive for COVID-19 in Ms. Nelson’s class (Room 121). This scholar did not attend school Wednesday through Friday of last week and was last in school on Tuesday, September 14.
Scholars in Ms. Nelson’s class and their siblings are being sent home as quickly as possible today. Scholars in Ms. Nelson’s class should log on to virtual learning this morning at 11 am. Siblings should also log on through Teams at 11 am.
There are 3 scholars in Ms. Nelson’s class who have siblings in Ms. Moreland’s class.
In keeping with our mission of keeping our scholars safe, because of a potential direct exposure to a scholar who is COVID positive, we are requiring Ms. Nelson’s class to quarantine for the duration of this week. This class will be allowed to return to school on Monday, September 27. During this time of quarantine, Ms. Nelson will teach the class virtually.
Because of a potential secondary exposure, all siblings of scholars in Ms. Nelson’s class are being sent home today as well. Siblings will be eligible for return on September 27 OR WITH a negative test on tomorrow, Tuesday, September 21. Because the date of last known exposure was Tuesday, September 14, COVID testing for siblings can begin immediately. These siblings are also eligible to attend school virtually during this time.
Our response is in keeping with the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Georgia Department of Public Health, as well as other experts. During this time of quarantine, scholars will be able to attend school virtually with the same curriculum they would have had in class. Virtual class will begin daily at 8:00 am and end at the regularly scheduled time of dismissal. Scholars must wear their uniform for virtual class each day.
If your scholar is experiencing symptoms, please call your doctor right away, notify AOS, keep all siblings home, and obtain a COVID-19 test.
Fever (100 degrees or higher), shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, cough, headache, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, congestion or runny nose, sore throat, fatigue, muscle or body aches.
We believe in the efficacy of our COVID-19 protocols and will be vigilant in continuing these efforts in order to keep our community safe.
AOS COVID-19 Protocols
- AOS scholars, faculty and staff, and campus visitors will now be required to wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status as we begin the school year.
- AOS will no longer require daily temperature/health checks upon arrival to school, but we ask families to continue to monitor their scholars’ health. Any scholar exhibiting any of the above COVID-19 symptoms should obtain a COVID-19 test. If the test is negative, they are free to return to school when they are feeling better and are fever-free without medication for at least 24 hours.
- If a scholar tests positive for COVID-19 or comes in close contact with someone impacted by COVID-19 (i.e. within 3 feet for at least 15 minutes), that scholar must quarantine for a period of 7 to 10 days. A negative COVID-19 test will be required to return after 7 days.
- If a scholar or teacher tests positive, AOS will attempt contact trace to ensure all who are impacted comply with COVID-19 protocols for unvaccinated/vaccinated individuals.
- Daily classroom cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing.
We appreciate your understanding as we worked diligently to contact trace and communicate our findings to you. It was our effort to communicate 100% of the information we had, in the most detailed manner, as quickly as we could. We pray that all scholars and their families endure this time with peace, love, and the grace of God and we sincerely hope that all scholars will be able to join us again in person on Monday, September 27.
Dr. Stacy Lambert-Johnson